Re: move to second stage, Re: Principles of Spam-abatement

On 3/16/2004 3:41 PM, Yakov Shafranovich wrote:

> How would introducing trust help with the spam problem? Would the cost
> of doing so perhaps would be so prohibitive that we will not be able to
> do so? Is it really possible to introduce trust that will actually work?

Trust is a contiuum, like everything else related to security.

Different people will have different levels of trust; having a marketplace
of trust brokers -- each of whom provide different levels and strenghts
based on different factors -- is appropriate. Some people and/or services
will require notarization-based trust, others will be happy knowing that
blacklist-dujour.org doesn't think the sender is scum.

I don't see what cost has to do with it. The IETF only needs to provide
standardized mechanisms for negotiating trust between end-points. Leave
the brokerage functions (and the implementation costs) to the service
providers who want to enter the market.