Re: snarls in real life

On 4/21/21 11:03 AM, Christian Huitema wrote:
The meta question is whether that is so off topic that it needs to be officially shut down with the working group chairs. The technical merits are what they are. What I was told in no uncertain terms is that I am not allowed to even ask the question. Is that appropriate?

There are a couple of topics that would be clearly appropriate for the QUIC working group. A document describing your experience deploying QUIC+DANE, for example, would be on topic. If there are issue preventing mutually agreeing clients and servers from using QUIC and DANE, that too would be very much on topic. On the other hand, your latter posts focused on the development of the Chrome browser, its level of support for DANE, and Google's willingness to deploy DNSSEC in their domains. That very much off topic for the  QUIC WG.

The reason I wrote my post is precisely because I *don't* have the resources to do such an experiment, and even if I had all of the code and signed domain my experience would be anecdotal at best. Only one of the big browser vendors could meaningfully run such an experiment. The overarching problem here though is *where* is the appropriate venue to ask questions or make observations? I got told to go elsewhere, well where is this "elsewhere" precisely?

That said, one of the interesting things coming out of this is that maybe there really are some fundamental issues surrounding DNSSec deployment. Why have none of the browser vendors signed their zones?

Mike