Re: hampering progress

On 4/21/21 10:56 AM, Keith Moore wrote:

Bottom line: Anyone who wants to promote an idea within IETF has to find some way of building consensus around that idea.   And any time there's inertia opposing that idea, building that consensus isn't likely to be easy, even if it's a very good idea.    It's still the job of the proponents of that idea to try to build consensus; nobody else is going to do it for them.

How can you "build consensus" when you aren't allowed to even talk about it? I don't go to meetings. I don't want to go to meetings. Does that mean I am excluded from "building consensus"? Are there other ways to "build consensus" that I'm not aware of? I'm not even trying to "build consensus", per se. I'm just trying to get people to consider whether an alternative might be better and if not, why not.

Does that "hamper progress"? Especially after about a half dozen messages and less than 24 hours?

But this list doesn't seem to be the answer because it's mostly about ietf process and the right technical people are definitionally going to be hit and miss.

Mike