Re: [Last-Call] [v6ops] Tsvart last call review of draft-ietf-v6ops-ipv6-ehs-packet-drops-05

On Thu, Apr 8, 2021 at 7:33 AM Timothy J. Salo <salo@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 4/8/2021 9:21 AM, Tom Herbert wrote:
> > [...]
> > Sure, tell me, as a host stack developer, what at reasonable minimum
> > length is for an IP header chain and I'll fix the packets I'm sending
> > so that the operators don't need to be bothered with this.
>
> No one really knows.

That presumes there is no data, and that it is impossible to get the
data. I don't believe that is true. For instance, RFC7872 does show
that between 80-90% of eight byte Destination Options make it through
the Internet. That's a pretty high percentage, so that suggests that a
minimal recommendation for EH length could be at least eight.

> Moreover, there is no reason to believe that the
> value won't change in the future.  Furthermore, this is well beyond the
> control of the IETF: it is driven by decisions made by router vendors
> and ISPs.

The ADs can correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe it is within the
scope of IETF to make recommendations and suggest best practices
concerning the use of standard protocols and those recommendations can
and should take operational data into account.