Re: A contribution to ongoing terminology work

On Wed, Apr 7, 2021 at 12:37 AM Nico Williams <nico@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Tue, Apr 06, 2021 at 10:32:16PM -0400, Phillip Hallam-Baker wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 6, 2021 at 7:08 PM Nico Williams <nico@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > In today's cancel culture, being called such a name is intimidating as
> > well.  Let's avoid intimidation and bullying please.
>
> And that response was not an attempt to do just that?

You cannot seriously argue that I was intimidating anyone.  If you mean
that your baseless attacks lose potency when called out as intimidation,
that's your problem, but it's not intimidation or bullying on my part.

I was pointing out that you were trying to intimidate me.

I never called anyone in IETF any name. I referred to the fact that there are external, real world political movements which are animated by racism and other forms of bigotry and it is this fact that has made the terminology issue a real one. I deliberately chose not to engage with the arguments you and Dan had put up.

There is nothing 'baseless' in pointing out that a gang of neo-NAZIs murdered Heather Heyer, it is a fact and there is a first degree murder conviction as evidence. It is that political event and other political event that have led to the current circumstance where a set of terminology that was unfortunate but not particularly problematic in 2016 has become completely untenable.

My argument was very clearly directed at the objections raised of the form 'the IETF does not need to follow the US polity in this' and 'there are more pressing concerns'. Both of which might be raised in good faith but neither of which have rather obviously been overtaken by the events I referred to.

It is rather interesting that the people who claim to be so concerned about 'freedom of speech' are the ones who are now objecting to people raising relevant facts because those facts lead to conclusions that make them uncomfortable.

If we are not supposed to mention the violent acts incited by certain politicians because this might make their supporters uncomfortable, perhaps said supporters will agree on dropping master/slave which other people find uncomfortable because of circumstances over which they have no choice or control.