Re: A contribution to ongoing terminology work

On 4/5/21 5:12 PM, Carsten Bormann wrote:

What we actually can do is agree on good replacement terms for technology that we own or considerably shape.
Discussion whether MITM/Middleperson attacks should be described as “on-path” attacks is very much on topic for us — in the groups that own/shape that technology.

Well there are on-path and in-path attacks both of which could be described as <something> in the middle.   I think the terminology there is evolving anyway, not entirely because of the implied masculinity of MiTM.   But it's a handy example of why a one-to-one mapping between old and new terms should not be assumed.

Keith