Re: A contribution to ongoing terminology work

> On Apr 5, 2021, at 9:14 AM, Nick Hilliard <nick@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> The material difference between it and the recent Apr 1 IDs was that that the Apr 1 IDs
> took aim at a set of measures intended to deal with an injustice.

Intended, yes.  Fit for purpose?  Very much not.

My heritage is of a people persecuted for a couple of millennia
and not too long ago the victims of a genocide.

Each year during passover we read lines that are I think of some
relevance to this thread:

   https://www.sefaria.org/sheets/306911

	We were slaves to Pharaoh in the land of Egypt ...

   https://www.chabad.org/multimedia/media_cdo/aid/847033/jewish/Avadim-Hayinu.htm

	We were slaves to Pharaoh in Egypt – now we are free

Unsurprisingly, the story of Passover is hard to miss in the language
of the African American freedom movement.  Let my people go.

To attain and retain freedom, we must not forget slavery, this is a word
to be understood, not suppressed, an institution to be fought where it
still exists, not ignored.

The notion that "master/slave" is offensive technical language is absurd
on its face.  What is offensive are moves towards language policing, which
is both unnecessary and exclusionary.

The other straw man motivating TERM is "whitelist/blacklist", but who were the
main targets of "blacklisting" in American history?  Disproportionately Jewish
leftists, not African Americans (against whom one could unfortunately all too
easily discriminate, if one were so inlined, without needing a list...).

If use of whitelist/blacklist occasionally helps to keep the memory of past
discrimination alive, all the better.  These words connect us to an unvarnished
past so we can do better in the future.  They do not target or oppress anyone,
they are a heritage.

The IETF is wasting precious energy contemplating needless expurgation of
its vocabulary that serves only to empower a strident few who would have
us daily atone for sins we did not commit.  This effort is plainly divisive
and exclusionary for many IETF participants (perhaps a minority, though hard
to say whether supporters truly outnumber those uncomfortable with where this
is heading).

The best way to be inclusive is to respect people enough to not imagine
them to be unduly fragile.  Encourage participation, listen, mentor.
Don't infantilize.

--
	Viktor.