Re: Non routable IPv6 registry proposal

On Thu, Mar 11, 2021 at 10:15 AM Nico Schottelius <nico.schottelius@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Eliot Lear <lear@xxxxxxxxx> writes:

> ... Also
> I think there are some tough questions that may need to be resolved
> around points of contact and relevant laws.  These are things that
> both ICANN and the various RIRs have paid considerable attention to.

They did and they do. However I think the focus has never been on
enabling (non-profit) commmunities. I am emphasising on this as
historically when people can spend time (but not money) on something,
innovation happens. We have not yet addressed this problem properly in
the IPv6 world.

The ARIN community has put significant effort into reducing the barriers as low as possible, for IPv6 allocations, all barriers can't be eliminated. However, the entry point has been lowered to $250 for a /40 IPv6 allocation, intended for the smallest ISP-like organization, an LIR, that is an organization that makes assignments to other end-uerser.

See the policy ARIN-2020-3, which has a status of Awaiting Implementation, and the ARIN Fee Schedule.
https://www.arin.net/participate/policy/drafts/2020_3/
https://www.arin.net/resources/fees/fee_schedule/

Is this low enough? Maybe not, but it is by far the lowest amongst the RIRs, I believe at least 400% lower than the next lowest RIR.

Thanks
David Farmer               Email:farmer@xxxxxxx
Networking & Telecommunication Services
Office of Information Technology
University of Minnesota
2218 University Ave SE        Phone: 612-626-0815
Minneapolis, MN 55414-3029   Cell: 612-812-9952