Re: [Last-Call] New Version Notification for draft-crocker-inreply-react-07.txt

On 3/2/2021 1:48 PM, Barry Leiba wrote:
To me clear, my motivations with regard to Section 7 are
different from those associated with issues in the rest of the
document.  For the others, my goal was to make the document
accurately reflect what the document was intended to specify.  I
believe that people being surprised that...

Especially given our community tendency towards bikeshedding, there is a particular danger in trying to add narrow refinement to a list of questions in a section intended to get feedback about an experiment.

The questions need to be meaningful, of course, but this is really a survey instrument and these are difficult to do well.  In the absence of careful design, strong controls, and expertise in the black art of survey methodology, keeping these profoundly simple and simplistic is essential.

In engineering, we are taught to be careful about false precision. 10.1 * 10.1 is 102.0, not 102.01.  Survey research has more complex and subtle versions of the same concern that it is easy to produce a misleading and inaccurate sense of precision claimed or implied.

Note that the sampling methodology for these question does not have any relationship to an actual experiment, and therefore neither do the responses.  So really, we are only asking a variation of "Tell us about using the specification."

Having reflected a bit about this, this morning, I now think it reasonable to add a bit more, but not really of the sort that has been discussed.

Here's what I propose:

7. Experimental Goals

The basic, email-specific mechanics for this capability are well-established and well-understood. Points of concern, therefore, are:

So the questions to answer for this Experimental specification are:

Please send comments to ietf-822@xxxxxxxx.

d/

--
Dave Crocker