Re: [Last-Call] New Version Notification for draft-crocker-inreply-react-07.txt

http://www.unicode.org/reports/tr51/#def_emoji_sequence, which,
> at least today, is rule ED-17 of the Version 13.1, 2020-09-18
> version of UTS#51.  It points back to ED-15 for
> <emoji_core_sequence> which rather clearly (at least IMO) allows
> a single emoji character, which leads to ED-3 and single code
> point emoji.    So, probably that is consistent in the document.
> Whether it is reasonable to expect anyone implementing the I-D
> to search through that is another question but is part of my
> concern about incorporating UTS#51 by reference and moving on.

For what it's worth, I'm the one who provided the reference to UTS51, and did so only after carefully making sure it allowed a single-code-point emoji, after a citation in a previous version (possibly only mentioned on list) pointed to something that only allowed multi-code-point sequences (to my bafflement).

Then there is the discussion of "what if somebody sticks `J` into the reaction part".

Kjetil wrote:
Existing text + suggested clarification:

   Reference to unallocated code points SHOULD NOT be treated as an
   error; associated bytes SHOULD be processed using the system default
   method for denoting an unallocated or undisplayable code point.
+  Code points from the private use area MUST NOT be used.
+  Other violations of the grammar SHOULD cause the part to be
+  discarded.

I agree with the spirit of this change:  supply a simple "what if this part doesn't fits its constraints" case.  I think the language you provide is adequate.  The other behavior that comes to mind is to only discard part-contents in places where "emoji" is expected, but that does not meet the criterion of matching the emoji token.  That is, given the part content:

  \N{FOX FACE}   J   \N{DISGUISED FACE}

Discard the J, and not the rest.  (Actually, "discard" here is probably better as "treat as an invalid codepoint".)

--
rjbs