Re: [Last-Call] New Version Notification for draft-crocker-inreply-react-07.txt

>>> The considerations for these display elements need to be exactly as complex as the display considerations for Unicode in email bodies, and no more.
>> Then why does it not have the same characteristics as any mime body part with Unicode content?
>>
>> It is exactly where the boundary is between code points that are allowed and not you have the key issues here.
>>
>> The draft DO refer to very specific rules that are to be followed.
>>
>> If it was not, I would not be as worried.
>

> So you'd be okay if the document just removed the codepoint restrictions and instead limited it to one line which is intended to convey a pictographic reaction? That seems like a reasonable compromise, as it would allow popular reactions like "¯\_(ツ)_/¯" and "(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻" without needing a later revision.

Yes. Given you say what you said, same issues as any text (directionality, zwj, ...).

It’s the reference to a limitation of what can go in that field and not which I claim (and others obviously disagree) is neither easy to parse, nor stable enough for IETF.

   Patrik