Re: Diversity and Inclusiveness in the IETF

On 2/24/21 12:41 PM, Hannes Tschofenig wrote:

- Our work is contribution driven.
True, but IETF does have some influence.   We're not bound to accept every contribution (especially if there are reservations about it), and we sometimes are able to impose some additional requirements on contributed work.   (Whether we do so wisely is a different question.)
- Making protocols suitable for all possible deployments introduces complexity. Particularly for security protocols this is often unwanted.

Yes but it seems to me that we have a poor track record of anticipating what deployment is likely to look like, and also a poor track record of designing with some awareness of likely deployment.   (Perhaps especially for security protocols.) Clearly we can't perfectly predict the future, but some people are able to make very good educated guesses.

Keith