Re: [Last-Call] [Ntp] Last Call: <draft-ietf-ntp-yang-data-model-10.txt> (A YANG Data Model for NTP) to Proposed Standardsecurity

On 09/02/2021 09:34, Hal Murray wrote:

daedulus@xxxxxxxxxxxxx said:
RFC8573 seems clear that MD5 must not be used to effect security for NTP  but
this I-D imports iana-crypt-hash which allows MD5 without any  restriction,
so is MD5 allowed or not?

"Allowed" is the key word.  Just because somebody published an RFC doesn't
mean that all the gear out in the field will get updated.  As Harlan pointed
out, there is a very very long tail on NTP deployments.

I think it makes sense for iana-crypt-hash to include slots for historic
items.  If nothing else, it is a good place to say "historic" or "deprecated"
and give references to the details.

If you think a Yang model should discourage using MD5, then I suggest adding
words to say that.  Better would be to phrase things so that it also includes
other algorithms that get kicked out of the club after the RFC is published.
I don't know of any place that publishes an up-to-date list of crypto-hashing
algorithms and their status.

IANA TLS HashAlgorithm

It lacks a Recommended column which other TLS registries often have.

This is the sort of service that the Security Area could provide for the rest of the IETF, but then, this is the IETF:-)

iana-crypt-hash belongs to the NETMOD WG which is why I said that I would raise the issue there. That WG IMHO lacks the expertise to specify a status so that would have to come from SAAG, a Security AD or some such.

That module is IANA-maintained and is Expert Review so I think that the consensus of the NETMOD WG to make MD5 status deprecated would be feasible. (It would not be possible, or sensible, to remove MD5 - that would be a new module and an RFC).

Tom Petch

----------

I'm looking at iana-crypt-hash@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

It says:
          id | hash function | feature
          ---+---------------+-------------------
           1 | MD5           | crypt-hash-md5
           5 | SHA-256       | crypt-hash-sha-256
           6 | SHA-512       | crypt-hash-sha-512

If NTP is the only use, then I'd suggest adding a deprecated note.  But I
assume that is used by other than NTP so that may not be appropriate.  But
maybe if MD5 is deprecated for NTP it should be deprecated for other uses too.
  ???

What happened to slots 2, 3, and 4?

Existing NTP code also supports SHA-1

RFC 8573 that deprecated using MD5 with NTP suggests using AES-CMAC.  Note
that is CMAC rather than HMAC and that NTP uses it's own scheme rather than
HMAC as described in RFC 6151.

The NTPsec code supports any hash (or CMAC) algorithm that the underlying
library from OpenSSL supports.