Re: NomCom 2020 Announcement of Selections

Hi Terry,

On 28 Jan 2021, at 04:48, Terry Manderson <terry@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I feel like that the IETF spends a lot of time posturing about what it can, or can not do, to address diversity.

Perhaps a pragmatic approach (since we are engineers) might be to first survey the (apologies for the offence) the diverse and minority participants and ask them what their barriers were to contributing to the IETF and what their barriers, restrictions, or reluctance might be to seeking an IETF leadership role.

The results of that might even form a problem statement.

+1

I think this is an excellent actionable idea.  I think we’ve done some of that in the past.  My suggestion is that we ask all IETF participants (and anyone else) with some demographics questions.  That way we can gain some perspective on who is impacted by what blocks and maybe even why.

Eliot