Re: How to get diversity of nominees was Re: Diversity of candidates was Re: NomCom 2020 Announcement of Selections

On 26/1/21 21:50, Fred Baker wrote:
Speaking for myself, if one wants to get more X in service, where X
is a skin color, a gender, and ethnic background, an industry
background, or whatever, the best way is to nominate them and get
people to speak to the nominating committee in support.

The problem is that nobody seems to define "X". And if they did, it
would probably be a rather narrow-minded definition.

Let me offer an analogy:

We're beef eaters, and on the weekends, we normally eat roasted ribs.
Sometimes we like to have a more diverse BBQ, and may add meat entrails
(I assume that's the English word for "entraña") or flank. Sometimes we
want even more diversity and add chicken, or pork. And when we get
super-crazy about diversity, we add lamb.

Now, do we have a diverse diet? -- A vegetarian might argue that we
don't. :-)

> The next best way is to serve on the nominating committee. If someone
> has not served on the committee, not nominated anyone, and not
> commented on any nomination, they’re just complaining.

That's a bit like the system trying to fix itself. For instance, in order to server the nominating comittee, you need to have attended a number of recent f2f meetings.

And if you're lucky to comply with that requirement, and lucky to be selected in the draw to be part of the nomcom, it seems that you also need to attend the subsequent in person meetings. I was, for instance, suggested to step down from my past nomcom position because I had not secured funding to attend an IETF meeting (IIRC, that was IETF banghok)

Thanks,
--
Fernando Gont
SI6 Networks