Re: Diversity of candidates was Re: NomCom 2020 Announcement of Selections

On 1/25/2021 2:55 PM, Keith Moore wrote:
On 1/25/21 2:06 PM, Michael StJohns wrote:

Let's have the last 5 or so Nomcom chairs plus Andrew drag in the appropriate people from some of the larger companies and ask them to help us with our candidate diversity problem.

Seems like that would be exacerbating the problem rather than addressing it.

Or maybe people keep wanting to define "diversity" in only very narrow terms.   We need more candidates who are not from "some of the larger companies".

Keith

See my response to Rich's note.   I agree - which was the thrust of my "fund an endowed chair" comment.  But it would be ignoring reality if I didn't acknowledge that the larger companies provide us with much of the support now (and thank you Companies for that) and will probably continue to do so going forward.

Mike