RE: NomCom 2020 Announcement of Selections

Hi John,

> Any thoughts on whether it would be helpful to start collecting
> comments on candidates, new appointees, and/or continuing
> incumbents now with the understanding that no one would look at
> them before the 2021-2022 Nomcom was seated?

I saw your suggestion on that. I'm not convinced as to how that would provide useful info to NomCom that isn't being supplied under the current format. And given how closely the volume of received input tracks with reminders to provide input to nominees, I'm not sure how much input would be received in the absence of frequent reminders. And if there were such frequent reminders, would people then become immune to these reminders (and ignore them) and might we actually end up with less input? Since I don't really see the potential benefit, IMO, the potential risks and additional effort don't outweigh those potential benefits.

With that said, I did find comments from several incumbents interesting, as to how going through NomCom is the only way they really have to get feedback about the job they're doing. A method for ADs to get anonymized / summarized input on a yearly basis (and maybe WG chairs, too?) might be useful. But I don't think that would need to be tied to NomCom. No need to add more work to the NomCom chair job. Really. Just sayin'.
Barbara