Re: [Last-Call] Last Call: <draft-crocker-inreply-react-06.txt> (React: Indicating Summary Reaction to a Message) to Experimental RFC

I think we actually agree, but I didn't express it very well.  It's one
thing to say this is a way to send emoji intended to be displayed as
reactions to prior messages, another to offer advice about how that
display might work.

That and more. IME it's not that the IETF comes up with the wrong UX answers,
it's that they ask the wrong UX questions.

Now, anticipating Dave, it may well be that we're not alone in this, and that only actual experimentation can determine the right UX direction to take. If
so, it's just another reason why we need an experiment.

Well... Totally bikeshedding on this issue...

I'll claim it very much is NOT another reason for the IETF to treat this as an experiment.  (In effect, that would expand the scope of concern for the IETF, which exactly what we should avoid, wrt this realm.)

I have no doubt that UI designers can find useful presentation approaches.  I don't consider that a risk.  (They might do it less well or better, but doing something useful isn't that tough 'for someone trained in the art'...)

The risks I do see are the ones now listed in the draft.  And these are reasonably within the purview of the IETF.

d/

--
Dave Crocker
Brandenburg InternetWorking