Re: [Last-Call] Last Call: <draft-crocker-inreply-react-06.txt> (React: Indicating Summary Reaction to a Message) to Experimental RFC

I'm with Dave here. The IETF has a long history of guessing wrong
about UX design.

I don't think this is quite fair or quite accurate. It's more like the IETF
ends up being, as the saying goes, "not even wrong".

What I mean by this is that all too often the UX concerns the IETF attempts to
address don't have much in common with the actual UX issues implementors end up
facing.

I think we actually agree, but I didn't express it very well. It's one thing to say this is a way to send emoji intended to be displayed as reactions to prior messages, another to offer advice about how that display might work.

The concerns being expressed here about the things "spammers" will do that the
UX needs to guard against are a case in point. ...

Piling on a little, while spammers don't target individuals, spear phishers do. On the other hand I am not coming up with any plausible scenarios where sending an emoji would be an effective way to spear phish, or any advice different from the advice about any spear phish.

We do occasionally see examples of people doing drive-by bulk posts to mailing lists, e.g. the Free Software Foundation occasionally dislikes something they think the IETF is planning, and a bunch of people show up to send one or two cookie cutter messages. We haven't had trouble dealing with that, and again I don't see reactions making it any worse.

Regards,
John Levine, johnl@xxxxxxxxx, Taughannock Networks, Trumansburg NY