Re: Non routable IPv6 registry proposal

Phillip Hallam-Baker wrote on 21/01/2021 16:00:
Perhaps we should ask how registries can go wrong. Or maybe we should ask the IAB to consider this.I can think of a few problems:

Integrity
* Duplicate registrations
* Unauthorized registration modification
* Unpublished registrations
* Inappropriate semantic mapping

Availability
* Rent seeking
* Denial of service
* Coercion by government

+ practical issues: insolvency, mismanagement, internal fraud, graft, liabilities therefrom, corruption, threat of legal action due to deregistration, threats from stakeholders / owners, etc.

OK so there is one 'risk' that perhaps should be mentioned openly because it is likely the one of most concern to people, 'what are the unexpected uses of these addresses' or 'what else is PHB planning he is not telling us about'.

obviously raising prices 10x after lock-in has been achieved 👀

There's no shortage of failure modes.

The registry concern that is rarely considered in IETF is what happens if there is no registry? There are two possibilities:

1) Innovation is put on hold until the registry is created.
2) People just create their own code points

The second has occurred on countless occasions and sometimes between really big companies. Every hard drive has a unique identifier which is actually in the MAC address space. After asking nicely and getting the run-around, the drive makers just allocated themselves 1/16th of the total MAC address space.

does this matter to the IEEE?  I.e. is this a MAC?

Nick