Re: [Last-Call] Last Call: <draft-crocker-inreply-react-06.txt> (React: Indicating Summary Reaction to a Message) to Experimental RFC

>> I'm with Dave here. The IETF has a long history of guessing wrong
>> about UX design.
>
> I don't think this is quite fair or quite accurate. It's more like the IETF
> ends up being, as the saying goes, "not even wrong".
>
> What I mean by this is that all too often the UX concerns the IETF attempts to
> address don't have much in common with the actual UX issues implementors end up
> facing.

I think we actually agree, but I didn't express it very well.  It's one
thing to say this is a way to send emoji intended to be displayed as
reactions to prior messages, another to offer advice about how that
display might work.

That and more. IME it's not that the IETF comes up with the wrong UX answers,
it's that they ask the wrong UX questions.

Now, anticipating Dave, it may well be that we're not alone in this, and that
only actual experimentation can determine the right UX direction to take. If
so, it's just another reason why we need an experiment.

> The concerns being expressed here about the things "spammers" will do that the
> UX needs to guard against are a case in point. ...

Piling on a little, while spammers don't target individuals, spear
phishers do.  On the other hand I am not coming up with any plausible
scenarios where sending an emoji would be an effective way to spear
phish, or any advice different from the advice about any spear phish.

We do occasionally see examples of people doing drive-by bulk posts to
mailing lists, e.g. the Free Software Foundation occasionally dislikes
something they think the IETF is planning, and a bunch of people show up
to send one or two cookie cutter messages.  We haven't had trouble dealing
with that, and again I don't see reactions making it any worse.

Yeah, and when this happens, or when a so-called "influencer" decides to sick
their horde onto some online poll of little if any relevance, the obviousness
of it makes it actively counterproductive.

We don't need to invent technical solutions to well-solved problems.

				Ned