Re: [Last-Call] Last Call: <draft-crocker-inreply-react-06.txt> (React: Indicating Summary Reaction to a Message) to Experimental RFC

On Tue, 2021-01-19 at 10:53 -0800, Ned Freed wrote:
> > On Mon, 2021-01-18 at 13:40 -0800, Ned Freed wrote:
> > > As for the idea of using heuristics, the idea of having an open-
> > > ended
> > > suggestion that implementors pick something, anything, for this
> > > purpose is more than a little scary given past experience with
> > > the
> > > things people use as spam tests. So absent something more
> > > specific I
> > > don't think this is a good idea.  Although it is intriguing to
> > > think
> > > about various checks and latching schemes and so on. But the
> > > siren
> > > song of a hack in the making is kind of the problem, isn't it?
> > I like the idea of reactions in e-mail, but any method of conveying
> > information will be misused by pranksters and spammers, so I think
> > it is useful to think about abuse.
>
> Sure, but the basis of comparison always has to be against both
> existing email systems which do not have a reaction facility as well
> as other messaging systems that do. It's neither fair nor reasonable
> to look at this as a new system operating outside of these contexts.
>
> > point 1: there is no restriction on the number of emojis in your
> > reaction.
> > example:
> >   🧚 🧚🏻 🧚🏼 🧚🏽 🧚🏾 🧚🏿 🧚‍♂️ 🧚🏻‍♂️ 🧚🏼‍♂️ 🧚🏽‍♂️ 🧚🏾‍♂️
> > 🧚🏿‍♂️ 🧚‍♀️ 🧚🏻‍♀️ 🧚🏼‍♀️ 🧚🏽‍♀️ 🧚🏾‍♀️ 🧚🏿‍♀️ 🧚 🧚🏻 🧚🏼
> > 🧚🏽 🧚🏾 🧚🏿 🧚‍♂️ 🧚🏻‍♂️ 🧚🏼‍♂️ 🧚🏽‍♂️ 🧚🏾‍♂️ 🧚🏿‍♂️ 🧚‍♀️
> > 🧚🏻‍♀️ 🧚🏼‍♀️ 🧚🏽‍♀️ 🧚🏾‍♀️ 🧚🏿‍♀️
> > obnoxious?  abusive?  it certainly would be a challenge to present
> > this in a UI, I think.
>
> Actually, the issues are reduced by having a well defined mechanism
> for flagging reactions and linking them to the message being reacted
> to.
> As things currently stand you can send such a message and nothing
> will prevent it from simply being displayed as-is, with recipients
> them drawing their own, possible incorrect, conclusions.

yes, it will take some time before UA will pick up support for this and
collate the reactions rather than presenting each reaction mail as a
normal message.

> But if you know that it's a reaction the UA can check for this sort
> of thing and handle it appropriately. I note that handling is
> unlikely to be to display the message as-is, so tricks like this are
> unlikely to work all that well.

"appropriately" is too vague, IMHO.  some guidance on how this should
be presented is called for, I think.  otherwise this is no better than
the "me too" or "*rofl*" messages we already had.

> Of course it would be better if we were able to fully specify how all
> this works down to the last detail. But we don't think we're up to
> the task, nor do we think it's appropriate for us to try.

if the reactions aren't summarised and presented in a compact manner,
the feature has failed.

> > would the functionality be hampered by specifying a
> > limit on the number of emojis in a single Reaction?  or a limit on
> > the number of (distinct) emojin from a single respondent?
>
> What would a reasonable limit be? Slack allows each emoji to
> specified exactly once.

all the emojis in my example were unique, the skin tone and gender were
varied.

>  Medium, OTOH, has a limit of 50 repeats. I've seen BBSes
> that impose no limits whatsoever.

I think it is reasonable to restrict the number of emojis to a handful,
perhaps 2-3.

> > point 2: although the set of characters with the emoji property
> > generally don't contain letters, there is bound to be creative
> > spammers abusing those available.
> > example:
> > 🐴 🧲 ⭕ ❌ ‼️
> > (the magnet looks like a C in the font I use.)
>
> Once again the comparison needs to be against existing systems.
> Creative spammers are more likely to acheive success by posting this
> sort of thing as a regular message part, not a reaction. Any sort of
> nontrivial reaction processing is likely to mess this up.

this ties into point 3 below: each emoji is sent as a separate reaction
and presented like this in the summary the UA provides.

> I also question the need to worry all that much about traditional
> spammers in these circumstances. Remember that for a reaction to be
> valid it has to link to a previous valid message. So in order to do
> this you need access to a valid previous message. In the case of
> interpersonal mail this means having access to one of the mailvboxes
> or the mail system, in which case you have much bigger things to
> worry about than spoofed reactions.

that ties in to point 4 - the spammer can send an innocuous message,
and the actual attention grabbing text via reactions to their own
message.

> As for list mail, despite many dire predictions the willingness of
> spammers to subscribe to lists in order to spam them haven't not been
> borne out.

right, I have only seen e-mail which are replies to list mail when the
mail archive was openly available on the web.  hardly any such archives
with headers intact exist anymore.

> > point 3: since the spam message can be spread across more messages,
> > the filtering is harder.  bear in mind the reactions can themselves
> > be to the spammer's own message.
>
> And once again you're talking about a problem with email in general
> that's almost certainly made more difficult by calling out reactions
> and handling them as such.

I don't understand this point.

> > point 4: should we disallow reactions coming from the author?
>
> Existing practice for this is all over the map. Slack lets you react
> to your own postings. Other systems don't. Others only let you react
> when you haven't contributed to the thread, and wipe out your
> reactions if you post a contribution.
>
> More generally, you seem to be assuming the purpose of reactions is
> some sort of voting. Sometimes a reaction is just a reaction, and
> it's entirely reasonable to post a reaction to your own message as a
> form of emphasis.

well, my mental model of this is like the emoji reactions in
Mattermost, Slack and many other IM apps.  in those, the reactions are
not votes per se, but it is common social behaviour that if one person
adds a specific emoji, others will just select the same reaction, and
you get an increasing count.  if you hover over the emoji, you will get
a list of persons who have reacted using that emoji.  Facebook works
similarily, but only allows one reaction per user and the selection of
reactions is much more limited.

I'm not opposed to allowing authors to react to themselves, but it does
make the rather precarious security of In-Reply-To even more
precarious.

--
regards,
Kjetil T.