Re: [Last-Call] Last Call: <draft-crocker-inreply-react-06.txt> (React: Indicating Summary Reaction to a Message) to Experimental RFC

On Mon, 2021-01-18 at 13:40 -0800, Ned Freed wrote:
> As for the idea of using heuristics, the idea of having an open-ended
> suggestion that implementors pick something, anything, for this
> purpose is more than a little scary given past experience with the
> things people use as spam tests. So absent something more specific I
> don't think this is a good idea.  Although it is intriguing to think
> about various checks and latching schemes and so on. But the siren
> song of a hack in the making is kind of the problem, isn't it?

I like the idea of reactions in e-mail, but any method of conveying
information will be misused by pranksters and spammers, so I think it
is useful to think about abuse.

point 1: there is no restriction on the number of emojis in your
reaction.

example:

  🧚 🧚🏻 🧚🏼 🧚🏽 🧚🏾 🧚🏿 🧚‍♂️ 🧚🏻‍♂️ 🧚🏼‍♂️ 🧚🏽‍♂️ 🧚🏾‍♂️
🧚🏿‍♂️ 🧚‍♀️ 🧚🏻‍♀️ 🧚🏼‍♀️ 🧚🏽‍♀️ 🧚🏾‍♀️ 🧚🏿‍♀️ 🧚 🧚🏻 🧚🏼 🧚🏽
🧚🏾   🧚🏿 🧚‍♂️ 🧚🏻‍♂️ 🧚🏼‍♂️ 🧚🏽‍♂️ 🧚🏾‍♂️ 🧚🏿‍♂️ 🧚‍♀️ 🧚🏻‍♀️
🧚🏼‍♀️ 🧚🏽‍♀️ 🧚🏾‍♀️ 🧚🏿‍♀️

obnoxious?  abusive?  it certainly would be a challenge to present this
in a UI, I think.  would the functionality be hampered by specifying a
limit on the number of emojis in a single Reaction?  or a limit on the
number of (distinct) emojin from a single respondent?

point 2: although the set of characters with the emoji property
generally don't contain letters, there is bound to be creative spammers
abusing those available.

example:

(the magnet looks like a C in the font I use.)

point 3: since the spam message can be spread across more messages, the
filtering is harder.  bear in mind the reactions can themselves be to
the spammer's own message.

point 4: should we disallow reactions coming from the author?

--
regards,
Kjetil T.