Re: [Last-Call] Last Call: <draft-crocker-inreply-react-06.txt> (React: Indicating Summary Reaction to a Message) to Experimental RFC

On 1/17/2021 2:36 AM, Eliot Lear wrote:
A blank reaction, a reaction containing containing no “emoji” as defined in the ABNF in Section 2, is said to have cleared any previously received reaction from the source.

That way, one can change one’s mind or correct a mistake.

I think these suggestions follow the principle of least astonishment, but I readily admit I could be wrong.

Apologies.  I managed to miss the 'blank' point.  It's an interesting one, but my current guess is that it's really more general than just for emojis.

An extreme version of this greater generality was summarized by an associated dean of engineering, when I was in graduate school, who told an anecdote that ended with: "I understand why you wrote than memo.  But what I cannot fathom is why you sent it.)

So, yes, deleting or replacing an emoji makes intuitive sense, designing additional semantics or, worse, mechanism to cover it -- absent compelling need -- misses the fact that this is only one example of what might be needed for email.

d/

--
Dave Crocker
Brandenburg InternetWorking