Re: [Last-Call] Last Call: <draft-gont-numeric-ids-sec-considerations-06.txt> (Security Considerations for Transient Numeric Identifiers Employed in Network Protocols) to Best Current Practice

> On Dec 9, 2020, at 4:14 PM, Benjamin Kaduk <kaduk@xxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> Hi Russ,
>
> Thanks for the comments.
>
> On Wed, Dec 09, 2020 at 04:09:07PM -0500, Russ Housley wrote:
>> I have to comments.
>>
>> 1) I do not see this document as a BCP.  Despite the inclusion of the boilerplate, there is not a single MUST in the document.  I have no objection to an Informational RFC.
>
> The assumption/expectation was that this would become part of BCP 72 along
> with RFC 3552.  Do you think it should be a standalone document, or can you
> propose normative language that would make it more appropriate as a BCP?

I'd advise an Informational document.  I think an additional section with normative text would be needed or additional normative paragraphs after each of the problem descriptions would be needed.

>> 2) The document is really about transient identifiers.  It does not only apply to ones that are numeric.
>
> That's probably true.  Numeric identifiers have some additional
> properties/structure that have specific considerations, but the core
> concerns do apply to non-numeric identifiers as well.  (Proposed text would
> be wonderful, of course.)

I looked at several sentences, and I think that just dropping "numeric" is a fine solution.

Russ