Re: [Last-Call] [TLS] Last Call: <draft-ietf-tls-oldversions-deprecate-09.txt> (Deprecating TLSv1.0 and TLSv1.1) to Best Current Practice

On 12/4/20 5:47 PM, Ted Lemon wrote:

Why do people buy stuff that’s not upgradeable?

One reason I haven't seen listed yet - because in some scenarios upgrade capability is seen as a liability, or even a security vulnerability.   And the people who see it that way are not always wrong.

Another reason, perhaps the most common one, is that there's no revenue stream to support it.

A third reason is that "upgrades" often break existing functionality - sometimes intentionally, sometimes accidentally.

A fourth is that upgrades haven't been established as a form of routine maintenance whether for operational stability or safety reasons; IOW there's been little effort to make upgrades fit into mindsets that are already well-established in industries.

There's no simple fix to these problems, and assuming that everything on the net should just be upgraded regularly (as if this is No Big Deal) is naive in the extreme.

Keith

p.s. I've been fixing an electromechanical clothes washer today, and realizing just how much I appreciate that there's no CPU in it.