Re: [Last-Call] [TLS] Last Call: <draft-ietf-tls-oldversions-deprecate-09.txt> (Deprecating TLSv1.0 and TLSv1.1) to Best Current Practice

Hi Michael,

On 04/12/2020 15:14, Ackermann, Michael wrote:

We (Enterprises) are not as involved as we should be in IETF, and
that is our own problem/fault. What I think irritates people like
Stephen,

I'm not irritated at all:-)

is that there have been situations where we finally try to
get involved and provide input/use cases, etc., but at the 11th hour
or after the ship has pretty much sailed.

Getting involved late is just something that happens when
one first gets involved in any new thing so is entirely ok.

If I was irritated (and I'm still not:-), what would have
caused that would be a claim that someone somehow represents
all "Enterprises" and that nobody else has a clue what may
be needed for such networks. I don't buy that at all and
I guess never will, because it just isn't correct.

Cheers,
S.

So as you say Deborah, I very much want to get more Enterprises
involved in IETF initiatives,  but beyond that, being involved up
front in the process (perhaps even making positive contributions
OMG),  rather than only whining about deployment/operational issues
on the back end.   (or explaining why they exist, which is
essentially what I was doing on this issue ☹).

How to accomplish this is a challenge and I think that is what
Barbara suggested taking off to the other list.