Re: Two FTP issues

On Nov 30, 2020, at 7:07 PM, Theodore Y. Ts'o <tytso@xxxxxxx> wrote:

On Mon, Nov 30, 2020 at 06:26:00PM -0500, John C Klensin wrote:
--On Monday, November 30, 2020 23:38 +0100 Carsten Bormann
<cabo@xxxxxxx> wrote:

I believe a hard-earned piece of experience I took from using
FTP is that you don't want to do conversions during transit.

I think we had figured that out by early in 1971. At least in
general, I think it is still true.

And yet, just recently on this mailing list, some of the people
arguing for the inherent superiority of the ftp protocol as compared
to http is that with ftp, it *Would* do conversions of text files
(e.g., crlf mangling, etc.)

Conversion can be useful. I can FTP a text file of Perl and run it just fine on different platforms.

Doing the same with HTTP either requires explicitly excising the surrounding HTML or doing CRLF conversion - still.

At least with FTP, it was a choice (ASCII vs binary).

Joe