Re: documenting rsync, or, what are we here for anyway? (was: Re: what is rsync)

> On Nov 27, 2020, at 12:54 PM, John Levine <johnl@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> In article <C0FCEC98-B6CD-4F35-BA09-428732ADFDAF@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>,
> Joseph Touch  <touch@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>> Does FTP do multiplexing?  How?  Which RFC?
>>
>> Yes; it opens a connection per exchange and let’s IP multiplexing do its job.
>
> Web browsers were doing multiple http requests in parallel in the
> 1990s.

Largely to get around TCP slow start as a hack at the time - not to rely on IP multiplexing.

I.e., HTTP  still had HOL blocking because it tried to reuse a connection for multiple xfers. Not the same thing as exclusively relying on IP multiplexing.

We discussed this in several webmux meetings in the IETF back then.

Joe