Re: documenting rsync, or, what are we here for anyway? (was: Re: what is rsync)

On Nov 27, 2020, at 10:45 AM, John Levine <johnl@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I think we have it backwards. On today's Internet, rsync is clearly a
lot more useful than FTP. It doesn't have FTP's quaint warts (telnet
compatibility and in-line port numbers) and is better suited for large
disks and fast networks. The relative amount of traffic we see
confirms this.

FWIW, although that may be true for this use case, it’s useful to keep in mind that FTP encodes a large body of experience that, in some ways, HTTP continues to try to evolve to replicate (like letting IP be the multiplexing unit and automatically avoiding HOL blocking).

FTP isn’t quaint in that regard. It remains the gold standard in many ways and has many lessons still to offer.

(Lessons; not necessarily needed operationally)

Joe