Re: Call for Community Feedback: Retiring IETF FTP Service

On 11/26/20 11:15 AM, John C Klensin wrote:

I have no
objection to the IETF dropping its FTP service if there is a
firm commitment that those documents and and resources will
continue to be available from some site within the general IETF
family.  If that assurance cannot be given, then I am back onto
the strong objection list.
+1 for myself.
In addition, I don't know if this is worth belaboring, but a
number of the arguments that have been made, particularly those
that imply that FTP service should be shut down because people
who want to use it are, e.g., just horribly backward and/or
should join the current century, seem to be to be spurious
and/or insulting.
+1.   And also ageist.
  I would hope they would not be included in
any future summary  of why discontinuing FTP service or, better,
explicitly disclaimed.  For example and because of my concerns
about actions others (including the LLC and/or RFC Editor
Function) might decide to take based on an IETF/IESG decision,
it seems to me to be very important that "our" reasons for
whatever decisions we made be very clear and that the implied
insults of those arguments should have no part of them.

IMO the insults weaken the (already weak and poorly supported) arguments for deprecating FTP, because they reveal a very evident prejudice on the part of those making the insults.

It should also be clear by now that IESG is not well-placed to decide which tools people should be using.  This is not their job,  not what they're chosen for, and a distraction from their main roles.

Keith