RE: Call for Community Feedback: Retiring IETF FTP Service

Hi John!

Since we talked exchanged notes on being clear on positions (see: https://mailarchive.ietf.org/arch/msg/ietf/GXzI5CRCVLhfKzFR4s5BwKmjhio/), am I correct in interpreting that you have moved from "opposed" to "no objection contingent on continued operations of an alternative ftp source such as ftp://ftp.rfc-editor.org";?

> On the other hand, if the LLC has to support, or fund AMS to support, FTP
> access to a repository on the RFC Editor site/path, it seems that the case that
> there are significant marginal costs for maintaining FTP access to the IETF
> repository just got a little more dubious.

I'm speaking for the IESG, so I (we) have no purview over contract.  With that caveat and being completely on the outside, I will repeat what was mentioned earlier that operational complexity get reduced with fewer services to run.  It also reduced attack surface (perhaps one was a little behind in updates or had a misconfiguration).

Roman