Re: Call for Community Feedback: Retiring IETF FTP Service

--On Wednesday, November 25, 2020 10:03 -0800 Lyndon Nerenberg
<lyndon@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I will also note that part of the reason ftp.ietf.org sees so
> little traffic is likelty due to the highly aggressive session
> timeout on the server's FTP command channel, making it pretty
> much unuseable for interactive sessions. If you increased that
> timeout from 20 seconds to something reasonable, say five
> minutes, people might start using the service interactively.

I had forgotten that particular annoyance, but that was another
reason I stopped using FTP interactively (to retrieve several
I-Ds in sequence) rather than the editor macros, which still
work fine for single I-D retrievals if am can sure I know what
the name, including version number, is.   I don't know what
Lyndon is doing but, while five minutes seems a tad long, 20
seconds is too short to retrieve something, think for a bit, and
then issue another command... and probably too short for clients
in many environments to perform "mget" by sending NLST, getting
back a list of names, builting a mini-script, and then start
sending RETR commands.

   john