Re: Regarding "Call for Community Feedback: Retiring IETF FTP Service"

--On Wednesday, November 25, 2020 19:27 +0000 "Livingood, Jason"
<Jason_Livingood=40comcast.com@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>> The other day I pressed a link, it turned out to be ftp link
>> and surprise: it worked as major Web browsers support it.
>
> [JL] That will end fairly soon. Chromium will disable FTP in
> 1Q2021 and fully remove the supporting code a few months after
> that.
> https://docs.google.com/document/d/1JUra5HnsbR_xmtQctkb2iVxRPu
> hPWhMB5M_zpbuGxTY/edit

But, fwiw, part of the justification given in that article (from
the first paragraph) is:

	"In addition more capable FTP clients are available on
	all affected platforms."

It goes on to say that that their implementation is broken and,
essentially, that they don't feel like fixing it.  "Broken and
we don't want to invest resources in fixing it" feels quite
different to me than "we have a service that works (almost)
perfectly well and we'd like to discontinue it".

And, fwiw, their explanation sounds very nearly like an
invitation for someone to add support back in via a third-party
plug-in.

So, yes, their dropping support is interesting but I don't think
has much to do with the IETF issue.

   john