RE: Call for Community Feedback: Retiring IETF FTP Service

[RW]

If the world ever reaches the stage where only 0.2% of traffic is IPv4 and rest is IPv6 (or newer) then I wonder if ISPs will be willing to keep the IPv4 service up and running?

Clearly there is some cost to keeping the FTP service running, but:
  - Roman's analysis seems to indicate that it is used by very few individuals,
  - there are viable alternatives (e.g., rsync, curl, wget, https), and
  - Roman has even kindly offered help for folks to migrate, if required.

I think that it is great that IETF has managed to offer the FTP service for so long, but on balance, it seems to have reached a point where the benefits no longer outweigh the costs, and pragmatically it seems like it is time to turn it off.

Regards,
Rob