Re: Call for Community Feedback: Retiring IETF FTP Service

On 11/17/20, 10:46 AM, "ietf on behalf of Keith Moore" <ietf-bounces@xxxxxxxx on behalf of moore@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I cannot say this often enough:   Traffic volume is not an indicator of  importance.

[JL] Fair enough. But we also have a count of the number of hosts using the FTP interface and that is a quite small number. Most seem to be scripted, presumably to create a mirror of the RFCs.

>  Also, perhaps the IETF and IAB should be a bit less dogmatic, in light
    of experience.  I keep seeing situations in which deprecation of old TLS
    versions is breaking systems for which there is no browser that supports
    the new TLS versions.  IMO this does significant harm.

[JL] The IETF regularly standardizes new protocols that leads to "creative disruption" globally. This brings countless positive benefits, such as pervasive encryption or real-time voice and video communications, but it surely has some downsides/impacts. It seems odd that we may be unable to do just a little bit of what we ask others to do in terms of disruption and proceed forward by dropping legacy unencrypted protocols with no apparent user demand & embracing more modern and secure communication protocols. BTW FTP was first specified 49 years ago in 1971. ;-)