HTTP vs. HTTPS (was: Re: Call for Community Feedback: Retiring IETF FTP Service)

On 11/17/20 9:02 AM, Keith Moore wrote:
> On 11/17/20 10:57 AM, Adam Roach wrote:
>
>>> Are those web browsers that are deprecating FTP also deprecating HTTP
>>> without TLS?
>>

>> Yes.
>>
>> https://blog.mozilla.org/security/2015/04/30/deprecating-non-secure-http/
>>
>> https://www.chromium.org/Home/chromium-security/marking-http-as-non-secure
>
> Wow.  That's incredibly arrogant and shortsighted.  I cannot begin to
> count, for instance, the number of Internet appliances out there (in
> both consumer and industrial applications) that have http interfaces but
> do not support https.

Keith, you said something similar on the UTA WG list earlier this year
when we talked about adding a work item to revise BCP 195 in the light
of TLS 1.3. It would be helpful if you could explain your thinking in
more detail. Are you concerned that web browsers which eventually
deprecate HTTP without TLS will make it impossible for people to
interact with certain deployed Internet appliances? Do note that when
the time comes such web browsers will provide an escape hatch: they
won't make it impossible to use HTTP without TLS, but they will force
the user to make an explicit decision about setting up an unencrypted
connection. Here again (as with Adam Roach's messages about the IETF's
FTP service) it's a question of tradeoffs and cost/benefit analysis.
Because the vast majority of web browsing activity involves interacting
with sites on the open web, not with Internet appliances, it seems
reasonable to protect users during such interactions to prevent a wide
array of attacks and abuses, from password sniffing to eavesdropping to
tracking and profiling. However, also giving users the ability to
explicitly choose unencrypted connections in certain special
circumstances seems to me to strike the right balance.

Peter