Re: Call for Community Feedback: Retiring IETF FTP Service

On 11/17/20 11:10 AM, Roman Danyliw wrote:

	There's a difference between preferring https vs http and pulling http
support entirely.  There's many devices that will never get https, upgrades or
certificates.
I can see this point in the abstract.  Can you help me in the specific -- what is the expected configuration of device accessing IETF resources which is not HTTPS capable?

I agree that there are many devices that have http servers that will never get https etc.   So it's very unfortunate that browser vendors are planning to deprecate http support, and I predict this will be extremely disruptive and harmful if it's carried out.

But I don't think that specific concern is relevant to the question about whether IETF should deprecate FTP or even HTTP [no s] services for IETF.   The appliances that have built-in http servers won't affect IETF's servers.

Keith