Re: Call for Community Feedback: Retiring IETF FTP Service

On Fri, Nov 13, 2020 at 12:01 PM Keith Moore <moore@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I'm very opposed to this proposal.

FTP is a much better interface than HTTP for scripting, mirroring, and remote file access (i.e. mounting an FTP server like a "share" so that it can be accessed from one's computer just like any other file system

I disagree. The ability to mount HTTP file systems is actually built into Windows. I don't think FTP is supported.

FTP is a very peculiar protocol, I have implemented it several times and it was awful to do even before NATs got in the way. It is not really a separate protocol, it is an extension of Telnet.

Oh and having to redo every transfer because the default mandated by the spec was to damage the file assuming a charset conversion was ridiculous even for the time.

We are inventing the future here, not keeping the past alive. As usual, I have been spending most of the two weeks between the drafts cutoff and the IETF meeting working on my documentation tooling. Why is it that 91 people using FTP out of over half a million is considered a serious issue? Could we have similar concern for the people who would like to use professional tools like Visio, Word, Powerpoint, Adobe etc to create diagrams? Right now, there is only one tool that I know of that supports the obsolete, deprecated, WAP-SVG required.