Re: Call for Community Feedback: Retiring IETF FTP Service

I'm very opposed to this proposal.

FTP is a much better interface than HTTP for scripting, mirroring, and remote file access (i.e. mounting an FTP server like a "share" so that it can be accessed from one's computer just like any other file system)

FTP is also a very stable interface, whereas as HTTP + HTML are both hideously complex.   Use of FTP as a remote file access protocol is very widely supported.

Basically what makes an effective human interface, and what makes a good interface for computer programs, are very different.   HTTP+HTML is arguably an example of the former (though I think it still has a long way to go and needs to evolve toward less complexity rather than more complexity); FTP is better at the latter.

But IETF should fundamentally be about promoting stable interfaces.   That is, after all, the purpose of standards.

More deeply, I think this proposal represents a fundamental misunderstanding about what IETF is, or should be, about.   We need to be facilitating tool building, not trying to stamp it out by forcing tool builders to use deeply flawed APIs.   The idea that RFCs are only supposed to be accessed through web browsers is incredibly backward.

Also, don't interpret traffic volume as an indicator of importance.   Sure, if nobody ever used FTP at all, it would probably be safe to say it's not important.   But a small amount of usage can still be of tremendous benefit to the community, and HTTP simply doesn't work as well (in practice) for that.

Keith

p.s. now having said the above, I will admit that in the past my scripts have always used the RFC editor's FTP server rather than the IETF's - why not go to the authoritative source of the information?   But I also have doubts about the RFC Editor continuing to provide what the community needs, as the separation of interests between the RFC Editor and the IETF seems to be growing over time, and the RFC Editor has undermined the IETF on at least one occasion.   On balance, I hope the IETF continues to serve as an alternate trustworthy source of RFCs, and also that the IETF continues to make RFCs available via both effective human interfaces and effective, stable machine-accessible APIs.