Re: Jim: Re: [rfc-i] FIXED: Poll: RFCs with page numbers (pretty please) ? (was: Re: John/rsoc: Re: Page numbers in RFCs questions / preferences)

> On 30 Oct 2020, at 01:48, Keith Moore <moore@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>>> At the I-D stage page numbers are useful because people send diffs
>>> and you need to context to get to the right place in the .xml.
>>
>> How do page numbers help with the XML? Aren't section and paragraph
>> numbers much better for that?
> Given that none of section, paragraph, or page numbers appear in the XML, I don't see how any of them helps with that problem.   But it is a real problem.
> (IMO, XML is a horrible format for document authoring/editing.   It optimizes for all of the wrong things and imposes a considerable burden on writing and maintaining drafts, especially for newcomers.)
>
> Keith

They can provide more context.  Going from text form back to xml can be
difficult.  But all this is an aside to the RFC form.
--
Mark Andrews, ISC
PHONE: +61 2 9871 4742              INTERNET: marka@xxxxxxx