Re: Not a Poll: RFCs with page numbers (pretty please) ? (was: Re: John/rsoc: Re: Page numbers in RFCs questions / preferences)

Toerless,

It's less that anyone wants to "put a lid on" this, and more that no-one wants to rehash decisions that were openly discussed over a period of years. Heather reported on this work at EVERY plenary meeting while it was ongoing, and there was plenty of discussion on the main IETF list, so if you completely missed it, it's not because it took place behind closed doors at the time. The work, and the result, were very well publicized.

To your point that you need a printable version with page numbers, that's provided by the RFC Editor for every RFC, for example https://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc8905.pdf (to cite a recent example). If you quickly need the last page number, just click in your browser or PDF reader on the last entry in the TOC.

The expectation with the new RFC formats is that the HTML version will be the one that most people read and refer to, and as that version obviously cannot have page numbers, section numbers are used instead if you need to cite text in a discussion or comments.

The txt version is now the worst choice to use for your work, because you miss any SVG drawings in the RFC. I know, old habits die hard.

Cheers,
Andy

On Mon, Oct 26, 2020 at 4:56 PM Toerless Eckert <tte@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Mon, Oct 26, 2020 at 04:24:57PM -0400, John Levine wrote:
> In article <4fe39c74-7870-3b97-0559-cea43e1d860c@xxxxxxxxx> you write:
> >Hiya,
> >
> >On 26/10/2020 18:01, Toerless Eckert wrote:
> >> i have created a poll for this, please chime in there:
> >
> >FWIW, I think such polls are antithetical to how we want the
> >IETF to work. Bad idea to pile on that way IMO regardless of
> >what one things of pagination.
>
> It is certainly very far from my understanding of how the IETF works.

I was doing it this way thinking that it would be better not to swamp the IETF
mailing list with opinions about something that the leadership seems to want to put a lid on.
If that's not a good thing, then please: chime into this discuss with your opinion
directly everybody.

Cheers
    Toerless