Re: [Last-Call] [babel] RtgDir review: draft-ietf-babel-information-model-11.txt

> Why define some intergers as unsigned 16 bit values yet leave strings of
> undefined maximum length. Can I stuff a novel into the field?  How about
> all of wikipedia? The point is why is the document inconsistent about
> its treatment opf the range of acceptable values in terms of size?

Right.  You may have a point.

The information model consistently limits integer values to the range
supported by the protocol -- e.g. where the protocol uses a 16-bit
unsigned field to carry a value, the information model specifies that the
value must not exceed 65535.

The string values, on the other hand, are not carried by the protocol --
they are strictly the private business of the management interface.  Their
size is only limited by a particular management interface, and whatever
protocols are used to carry the configuration data (e.g. whether your XML
parser is able to carry the full text of War and Peace within an attribute
value).

So where should their size be limited?  In the information model?  In the
YANG document?  In the release notes of a particular implementation of the
YANG model?  All of the above?

-- Juliusz