Re: [Last-Call] RtgDir review: draft-ietf-babel-information-model-11.txt

(I am not on all these lists in the headers but I'll leave the recipient list intact anyway.)

On Oct 20, 2020, at 06:22, Geoff Huston <gih@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> "centiseconds"? Really? "tenths of seconds" would be clearer to most
> readers!

Perhaps this was intentional, but a centisecond is a hundredth of a second, not a tenth (just as a centimetre is a hundredth of a metre). A tenth of a second is a decisecond.

Centi- is a metric prefix recognised by SI (in which system the second is a base unit) so I think it's fair to say that centisecond is not an outlandish choice of unit, although millisecond would be more consistent in many engineering contexts.

But apparently the SI system units is not taught in schools everywhere even today (notably in much of the US) so maybe spelling it out as you suggest is reasonable.

Joe