Re: [Last-Call] [babel] RtgDir review: draft-ietf-babel-information-model-11.txt

On Wed, Oct 21, 2020 at 03:36:42AM +1100, Geoff Huston wrote:
> I’m was not raising an issue with the use of units of one tenth of a second - I was expressing the thought that the term “centisecond” is an unusual term in English, and as a native speaker I haver also followed a convention of using the units of “tenths of seconds”, “hundredths of a second” and then heading to milliseconds, nano seconds. Until now I had never seen the term “centiseconds” and I would claim that I am familiar with scientific English.

For what little it's worth, I think I have pretty solid credentials for
"familiarity with scientific English" (Ph.D. in Chemistry), and I find the
deci- and centi- SI prefixes to be completely natural.  It is perhaps
interesting that deca- and hecto- are not so natural, which I might ascribe
to the liter being a rather large volume on laboratory scales, so that
centiliters and deciliters are often used.

-Ben