Re: Weekly curated news stories about IETF-related topics

> On 16 Oct 2020, at 11:46 am, Brian E Carpenter <brian.e.carpenter@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> Hi Greg,
>
> Who is fact-checking this?
>
> For example, in the archive I see:
>
> "The HTTP Range Requests standard has been under discussion at the Internet Engineering Task Force (IETF) for more than half a decade,..."
>
> There is no such thing as the HTTP Range Requests standard. There is a draft "draft-ietf-httpbis-semantics" that replaced an earlier draft "draft-ietf-httpbis-range". Maybe one day the current draft will proceed through WG Last Call, AD review, IETF Last Call, and an IESG ballot, and finally be approved as a Proposed Standard. Or maybe not.

Just a nit - range requests were first standardised as part of RFC2068 (1997), then revised in RFC2616 (1999) and split out into a separate RFC7233 (2014); they're currently being folded back into draft-ietf-httpbis-semantics.

All of that said, I agree that the statement "The HTTP Range Requests standard has been under discussion at the Internet Engineering Task Force (IETF) for more than half a decade" is very odd - it's more like ~25 years.

Still, this is a news clipping service; if we have problems with the contents of the articles, we need to go back to the sources...

Cheers,

--
Mark Nottingham   https://www.mnot.net/