Re: Reviving a dormant IANA registry

* John C. Klensin:

> --On Wednesday, August 26, 2020 20:33 +0200 Florian Weimer
> <fw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>>> If the charset name code you are interested in registering is
>>> defined in an RFC, you are presumably want the first, but it
>>> would be helpful for you to confirm that.
>>
>> The charset is currently unnamed, as far as I can see: it's
>> the UTF-7 variant in section 5.1.3 of RFC 3501.
>
> I have not been following IMAP work carefully in recent years
> (others here may be able to easily fill in the blanks) but my
> impression is that, as Unicode encoded in UTF-8 has taken over
> as the generally preferred form for transmission of non-ASCII
> characters over the Internet, UTF-7 has generally fallen out of
> use even if it has not been explicitly deprecated.  In
> particular, its use is strongly discouraged in fully
> internationalized email contexts ... see the discussion in  RFC
> 6855 for IMAP and RFC 6530ff for the more general case.

I see.  Is RFC 6855 widely implemented?  The IMAP server at work does
not seem to offer the UTF8=ACCEPT capability, if I read the debug
output from the mail client correctly.

<https://imapwiki.org/Specs> does not list any compatible
implementations, if I read that table correctly.

>> The charset is already defined and widely implemented.  It's a
>> transformation format of Unicode.
>
> But a transformation form that was invented in the IETF, more or
> less specifically for one particular element of IMAP, not one
> standardized or recognized by the Unicode Consortium.   That
> might be hair-splitting except for the problem below.
>
>>  It's just presently unnamed.
>> Having a standardized name for it would help implementing
>> support in the POSIX iconv framework.
>
> Ah.  Up to you -- and something to be worked out with the
> designated experts and on the appropriate lists (once it is
> sorted out) -- but some free (and maybe worth what you pay for
> it) advice: you'd get much better support and interoperability
> by dropping UTF-7 and converting the relevant applications to
> use UTF-8.  That is particularly important because there are
> apparently several web applications and form processors that
> will ignore the charset parameter (either entirely or with any
> values they don't recognize) and try to deduce the charset or
> encoding form heuristically.  And they will not accurately
> detect UTF-7 for reasons that should be obvious.

It seems to me that we need this UTF-7 variant for a few years to
come.  Implementations already have come up with ad-hoc names such as
"utf-7-imap" or "mUTF-7".

Telling implementors to use UTF-8 instead, when it does not provide
interoperability with existing software, does not seem particularly
useful to me.