Re: Reviving a dormant IANA registry

--On Tuesday, August 25, 2020 12:30 +0200 Florian Weimer
<fw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> What's the process for reviving an IANA registry where the
> contact mailing list for additions is dead?
>
> It's for the charset registry.  It requires expert review
> only, and I want to see a charset defined in an RFC added to
> it because that part was apparently missed when the RFC was
> written.  (The point is to get an official name for the
> charset, to increase interoperability among implementations.)

I'm a little confused by your question.

First, there are actually two registries that can be referred to
as charset registries, both defined in RFC 2978:

 * The "Character Sets" list at
	https://www.iana.org/assignments/character-sets/character-sets.xhtml

 * The "Character Set Registrations" list for codes that
	are in use but not defined by RFCs, listed at
	https://www.iana.org/assignments/charset-reg/charset-reg.xhtml

If the charset name code you are interested in registering is
defined in an RFC, you are presumably want the first, but it
would be helpful for you to confirm that.

They both have the same expert reviewers and both reviewers are
still active in the IETF.  Neither page lists a contact mailing
list (perhaps an omission that should be created).  There is a
contact address listed in RFC 2978, "ietf-charsets@xxxxxxxx".
If that address is no longer working, I recommend you contact
iana@xxxxxxxx and ask them what it going on as doing so will
generate a ticket in the appropriate system.

Second, allow me to ask a substantive question: at the time the
registry was created, there were many charsets in use (and more
being added).   Today, there is little excuse for using anything
but Unicode in one of its three standardized encoding forms.
Unless there are circumstances I don't understand, adding and
using an additional charset is likely to decrease
interoperability, not increase it.  So, while RFC 2978 is quite
permissive and you only need to convince the experts, in the
interest of interoperability, could you explain which RFC is
involved and a bit about what is going on here?

thanks,
   john