Re: Reviving a dormant IANA registry

In article <87k0xallab.fsf@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>,
Florian Weimer  <fw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>> The charset is currently unnamed, as far as I can see: it's
>>> the UTF-7 variant in section 5.1.3 of RFC 3501.

>I see.  Is RFC 6855 widely implemented?  The IMAP server at work does
>not seem to offer the UTF8=ACCEPT capability, if I read the debug
>output from the mail client correctly.

At this point very few. The Courier open source mail package does, and
the Coremail service in China. The popular Dovecot and Cyrus IMAP servers do not.
Gmail and Hotmail/Outlook support SMTPUTF8 on the SMTP side but not
for POP or IMAP.

>It seems to me that we need this UTF-7 variant for a few years to
>come.  Implementations already have come up with ad-hoc names such as
>"utf-7-imap" or "mUTF-7".

Agreed.

>Telling implementors to use UTF-8 instead, when it does not provide
>interoperability with existing software, does not seem particularly
>useful to me.

I've talked to some IMAP developers who say that yeah, going to UTF-8
would be great but cleaning up a decade of old character set cruft will
be a lot of work.

--
Regards,
John Levine, johnl@xxxxxxxxx, Primary Perpetrator of "The Internet for Dummies",