Re: IETF Slack workspace

It feels like a major argument for slack is that offers reliable sign up for
people who don't know how to find a jabber server, and/or who are unable to
run an XMPP client.  I use pidgin/libpurple, and I know that there were times
when there were significant security issues with it.  I've heard that on
Mac that there is not really a (thick) client that has reasonable support.

So it seems to me that:
1) the IETF should run a jabber server to which we can register to using
   our DT login. (through OpenID Connect, I guess)

2) that the IETF should host one or more web based XMPP clients, possibly
   paying a license fee/support.

Slack supported XMPP in/out when it first launched, but then stopped.
I've been told that this is actually configurable on a per-workspace basis.
I don't know the truth of this.

It would ideal if Slack could XMPP s2s out to IETF jabber servers, but
I would not be surprised if this is not supported.

--
Michael Richardson <mcr+IETF@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, Sandelman Software Works
 -= IPv6 IoT consulting =-